<%@ Language=JavaScript %> ..:: Maryland Int'l Raceway  -  Budds Creek, MD  ::..

Maryland Int'l Raceway  •  27861 Budds Creek Road  •  Mechanicsville, MD  20659

301-884-9833 (Office)  •  301-884-9878 (Fax)  •  info@mirdrag.com

   MIR e-News Headline

Milstead, Brewer and Alberts Cash In
at $5K Triple Header


June 18, 2013


Press Release courtesy of:  Robbie Parlett

The 1/8th mile Speed Unlimited ET Series got off to a very quick start with a triple header for Top ET and a double header in Mod. It was two “regular” points races for Mod ET racers, but for Top ET racers, there was some serious money on the line, with three $5,000 to win races in 2 days. With a good weather forecast, racers came from all over the east coast to try to pick up a piece of the huge cash prize up for grabs. More than 150 Top ET racers jammed the staging lanes over the course of the weekend. The schedule for the weekend was to run and complete the majority of Race 1 for Top ET, then start running the entire Speed Unlimited ET Series in the afternoon on Saturday. Then on Sunday, it was one time run and right into first round for all classes. With the big car count and a couple of lengthy clean ups, the schedule slid slightly on Saturday, but all racing was completed before the lights were turned out for the night.



As for Race 1 of Top ET, there were 8 cars remaining heading into round 6. First up, Jake Milstead faced off with Jeff Brady. Milstead had just taken down Jerry Brewer with a .010 package the round before and was once again on the tree with a .008 light. That was enough to hold off Brady who couldn’t quite run his 4.90 dial. Next, Michael Shoop found himself behind on the tree with a .032 light to Jeff Buckner’s .020. But at the stripe, Shoop ran dead on with a 5 to get there just .003 in front of Buckner’s Ford Probe. Next, Rick Harbaugh ran into a buzz saw when his respectable .015 light put him out of contention against Will Kivett’s .013 package. The final matchup put mulligan winner David Cox up against Nate Brunson. Brunson had the starting line advantage with his .023 light, but ripped it just one time too many at the stripe, giving the stripe back .001 to Cox, sending David to the semifinals. In the semifinals, Milstead paired up with Cox. Milstead got a sizeable advantage on the tree with a .026 to Cox’s .052 and was able to hold on at the stripe to move on to the final. In the other semifinal matchup, Will Kivett lined up against Shoop. This time, Kivett found himself on the receiving end of a buzz saw run, as his .017 light left him with no chance against Shoop’s .014 package For Shoop and Milstead this would be the second time they met up in a $5K final at MIR. A couple years ago they ran for the money, with Milstead picking up the win. This time around, the story remained the same. Shoop got the slight advantage on the tree with a .016 light to Milstead’s .020, but Shoop couldn’t run the number and Milstead ran a dead-on 5.011 on his 5.01 dial picking up the win, and the $5,000 payday that comes with it. With Race 1 in the books, Top ET racers had no time to rest, as Race 2 was just around the corner.



Top ET competitors were given one time run between races, and then they went right into first round of Race 2. For Milstead there would be no repeat of his Race 1 performance, as he ran into a tough .011 package in round one, and couldn’t make it past Jack Trussell in re-entry. In terms of the new 1/8th mile points series, that opened it up for a lot of racers to make a move towards the top of the points list. In 6th round, there were just 6 cars remaining. Steve Ryan, the lone door car remaining in competition won a very tight race against Tommy Norton. Norton had just a .002 advantage on the tree, but Ryan was able to run .006 closer to his dial, putting him .004 in front at the stripe, sending Steve Ryan to the semifinals. Then Kenton Fulk and Marc Williams faced off in what had to be one of the toughest races of the day. Williams was good on the tree with a .010 light but had no shot at picking up the win. Fulk was .006 on the tree and ran dead on 1 for a tough to beat .007 package. Williams was dead on 1 as well, and his .011 package that would get the job done almost every run down the track, wasn’t enough this time, leaving him .004 behind at the stripe. Jerry Brewer was making another deep run in eliminations. After a round 5 exit in Race 1, he found himself lined up against Candi Derry in 6th round of Race 2. Brewer got the jump with a .011 light to Derry’s .016. At the stripe, Derry got there first by just .007, but broke out .001 ending her day and sending Brewer on to the semifinals. Brewer was pulled for the bye pairing Ryan and Fulk. Fulk, who had been “double oh” on the tree every round since round 4, was once again on top of the tree, posting a perfect .000 light. Ryan was a little tardy with a .025 light, but at the stripe, Ryan came out on top. Ryan was able to run a dead on 6.477, and Fulk couldn’t run it by .033 putting him behind by just .001. Ryan was making a nice run of it considering he only made it to the track in time for the one time run between races and he was the only door car to make it out of round 4. But in the final, Steve Ryan’s good run came to an end. The race was over as soon as it started as Ryan turned it -.002 red handing the win and $5,000 to Jerry Brewer in his new 2013 Undercover dragster. With the win and deep run in Race 1, the Lumberton, NC native Brewer, found himself in the points lead at the end of the night.


In Mod ET it was a family affair in the final on Saturday. In 5th round, Bobby Mattera faced off with Jason Stern. Both drivers were good on the tree with Bobby getting the slightest holeshot with his .012 to Stern’s .013. At the stripe, Stern tightened it up really well, taking just .003, but broke out more than Bobby in the always tough double breakout race. Next up, Johnny Mattera faced off with Joe Goldey. Goldey got the jump at the line with a .034 to Johnny’s .062, but took too much stripe breaking out .002 and sending Johnny to semifinals. Peter Kivett got the quarterfinal bye run. In the semifinal, mile points leader, Bobby Mattera was drawn for the bye guaranteeing him a spot in the final. His brother Johnny faced off with Peter Kivett. Again, Johnny found himself behind at the tree with a .024 light to Kivett’s near perfect .001, but once again, Johnny got the break he needed at the stripe his opponent broke out taking too much stripe, handing Johnny the automatic win and sending him to final to face his brother. Johnny, who earlier in the day won a runoff from last week’s race against Francis Reynolds, was looking to pick up his second win of the day. But his brother had something to say about that. Bobby got the jump with a .057 light to Johnny’s .077 and this time, Johnny’s luck at the finish line ran out, as Bobby ran 1 over his 5.73 dial to pick up the win, and jump to an early points lead in the 1/8th mile points series.


In Juniors, once again, not only were racers vying for the $100 winner’s cash prize, but the Hubble Motorsports Pro Purse had grown to nearly triple the winner’s purse. With many of the Junior racers entering the Pro Purse, and Michael Cockrell of Certified Auto Services pitching in an additional $50, one lucky racer had a chance of taking home nearly $400. In what was starting to become a recurring theme, a member of the Estevez family once again got the job done, picking up the race win and the Pro Purse money. In round 4, Robert Estevez continued his trek to the final round by knocking off JD Walker. Walker had the advantage on the tree, but couldn’t run the number leaving enough room for Estevez to pick up the win. Willy Hess Jr. then got a big jump on the starting line with his .018 light, and that was enough to hold of Jacob Mattera’s dead-on 0 run, sending Willy Jr. to the semifinals. Logan Hubbell used a .037 light to take down Rylee Duck and Hunter Levin rounded out the semifinal foursome with a bye in round 4. In the semifinals, Hess faced off with Levin. Both drivers were pushing the tree hard, but Hunter pushed a little too hard with -.007. Willy Jr. was going to be tough to beat with a .006 light en route to a .021 package. In the other semifinal, Robert Estevez picked off Logan Hubbell after Hubbell broke out at the stripe. Hubbell was .011 behind at the tree, but did a good job taking the stripe, getting there by just .001, but with Robert running dead-on 6, Logan had to break out to get there first. In the final, both drivers were set to knock to tree down, but this time, Willy Jr. was the one who jumped the start, with a -.014 light. Robert was good on the tree with a .013 light and with both drivers breaking out at the finish line, it would have been a good one in the lights. For Robert, the race win jumped him to the points lead ahead of his older brother TJ, and it kept the pro purse in the Estevez family yet again.



As for Motorcycle, Vincent Harris rode his way to winners circle, knocking off some tough MIR regulars along the way. In round 2 he knocked off former track champ Kelly Clontz on the strength of a .023 light. Then in round 3 he knocked off reigning track champ Jimmie Miller, sending him to the semifinals where he would match up with the always tough Mac McAdams. McAdams, who currently sits in the top 5 in points, couldn’t get past Harris who was .032 on the tree and ran dead on his 10.98 dial. McAdams made a respectable run, running dead-on himself, but had nothing for Harris’ .040 package. In the final, Harris would meet up with Jermaine Proctor who had the semifinal bye run. Proctor is a multiple time race winner at MIR, and is certainly no slouch on the racetrack. But this time, Proctor made the mistake many do in the final, and pushed the start a little too hard. Proctor turned it red, handing Vincent Harris the automatic race win on his ’74 Kawasaki.



As Sunday started, time runs started right at the 10am scheduled time. With threatening weather in the forecast for the afternoon, the MIR staff was anxious to get the race completed as quickly as possible. With just one time run in all classes, eliminations got underway by noon. Motorcycle was the first class to wrap up for the day. In the semifinals, Louis Green knocked off Jeff Sweeney. In was a very tight race, Green got the jump with a .034 light to Sweeney’s .043, separating the riders by just .009 on the starting line. At the stripe, the ET differences were .009, netting out to a near dead heat, .000 stripe. Green ran dead on with an 8 to take the win, forcing Sweeney to break out by .001. Defending champ, Jimmie Miller had the semifinal bye run and would meet up with Green in the finals. Again the Motorcycle final was decided on the starting line, this time Green pushed the tree too hard, turning it just -.007 red and handed Jimmie Miller the win and the points lead.


In Juniors, the Estevez brothers, TJ and Robert, who had won 3 of the first 5 races of the year were stopped early in round 2, opening the door for some other racers to pick up the win and Pro Purse money. Again the Pro Purse was more than double the regular race winner’s purse. Again, Ron Hubble of class sponsor Hubble Motorsports handled the logistics of the Pro Purse and Michael Cockrell again added $50 to the pot via his company, Certified Auto Services. Heading into the quarterfinals, only one Estevez remained with a shot of keeping up the streak of winning the race and Pro Purse. Louie Estevez faced off with Ray Snoots, who was the season opening race winner, and the one race winner who was not the Pro Purse winner, as he didn’t join that day. Snoots ended the Estevez’s run on race wins and Pro Purse victories with a perfect .000 light. Even though Louie ran closer to his dial, he couldn’t overcome Snoots’ starting line advantage. Stephen Norris took down Saturday runner-up Willy Hess Jr. in the quarterfinals. Both drivers were good on the tree, with lights in the .020’s, but Hess couldn’t run the number giving Norris all the room he needed to move on. Reigning points champ, Christopher Mattera got the bye to the semifinals. In the semifinals, Norris was drawn for the bye, matching up Snoots and Mattera. Snoots again, pushed the tree, and this time turned it red with a -.014 light. Mattera was good on the tree with a .013 light setting up a winner take all race in the finals, where once again, the race winner would win the Pro Purse. Both racers missed the tree in the final, with Mattera getting the jump with a .101 light to Norris’ .130. At the stripe, Mattera was just barely able to get there first, taking the stripe by just .006, holding off Norris’ dead-on 0 run. For Mattera, it was his first race win of the year, and it catapulted him back into the top 10 in Junior points.



In Mod ET, another reigning track champ made their way back to the Winners Circle. The 2012 Mod champ, Frank Thompson Jr. has struggled all year to get out of second round, and on Sunday he finally broke through. After taking down 8 time champ Johnny Mattera in round 1, Thompson got a bit of break in second round when his opponent Stephen Cross Sr. had the starting line advantage but couldn’t run the number, letting Frank sneak past in the lights running dead-on. In round 3 he took down the always tough George Windsor and in the quarterfinals, he met up with his second Mattera of the day, Tony. Tony had just taken down his brother Bobby, the points leader, in round 3, but wasn’t able to overcome a .012 starting line disadvantage against Thompson, sending Thompson to the semifinals. Frank would be joined by Stephen Cross Jr., who bested Travis Taylor, when Taylor broke out taking stripe after being behind .022 on the starting line. The semifinal threesome was rounded out by Jason Stern, who took down Janet Baden. Baden had a .007 advantage as they left the line, but couldn’t run the number leaving Stern with enough room to jump back in front at the stripe and move on. Frank was drawn for the semifinal bye run, sending Cross Jr. and Stern to the line to do battle. Both drivers were on the tree, but it was over quickly when Cross Jr. turned it -.007 red. Stern, for his part, was right there with a .002 light. Stern, who was coming off a quarterfinal finish on Saturday was looking to take the points lead with a race win Sunday, but it wasn’t meant to be. Thompson saved his best light for last as he was .009 on the tree, and Stern missed it with a .093. Stern tried to get to the stripe first but couldn’t make it happen, breaking out nearly .05 handing the win to Thompson in the double breakout race. For Thompson, it was his first ET Series win of the year, and bumped him to third in the points, behind Bobby Mattera who has a one point lead over Jason Stern.



On Sunday, in Top ET, as Mother Nature turned up the heat, so did the racers on the track. “Double-oh” lights were the norm, and sub .015 packages were common place as the Top ET racers weren’t holding anything back in the 95+ degree heat during the final $5K race of the weekend. Just take the third round matchup between Daniel Harris and Rick Harbaugh for example. Harris turned it -.009 red, and ran a dead-on 4.526 on his 4.52 dial, but even if he had been perfect on the tree, he would have just been in the way, as Harbaugh put together the ever elusive perfect run, turning it .000 and running a perfect 4.640 on his 4.64 dial. Harbaugh was knocked out in 5th round by Bert Lewis. Bert moved on to the quarterfinals where he matched up Tommy Cable. For Bert and Tommy, this was their second matchup of the day as they had just met each other in round 4, where Bert picked up the win with a .002 light. Tommy won the mulligan and was dropped back into 5th round. This time, Tommy got the jump with a .004, but messed up the stripe in his dragster against Bert’s slower 6.70’s Ford Ranger, taking too much at win light, breaking out and sending Bert to the semifinals. There Bert would be joined by Severn Johnson, who was .009 dead-on 7 to take out Donna Nelson. The final semifinalist was Jesse Alberts, who got past Justin Fordyce. Alberts had a .016 advantage on the tree and although Fordyce got there by .005 at the stripe, he broke out doing so, sending Alberts to the semifinals in his ’86 S-10. In the semifinals, Severn was drawn for the bye, pairing the two pickups in the semifinals. Alberts got the best of Lewis in a very tight race. Alberts who had been driving great all day, including a round 5 win over weekend wrecking ball Jerry Brewer, was .009 on the tree, breaking out .002, taking .002 at the stripe to pick up the tight double breakout win over Lewis who was right there with a .012 out .003. Severn just broke the beams and awaited his final round matchup with Alberts. In the final, both drivers were off their game a little bit on the tree with Alberts getting the jump with a .015 light to Severn’s .020. At the stripe, Alberts, the Bernville, PA native, ran dead on his 6.35 dial with a 6.359 to take down Johnson who couldn’t quite run the number, picking up the win and the $5,000 payday that comes with it. At the end of the weekend, Jerry Brewer finds himself atop the points list with two 5th round showings and a win. Alberts sits just two rounds back, with two 4th round exits and a race win. Will Kivett and Rick Harbaugh sit tied for third, 41 points behind Brewer.

Congratulations to all the weekend’s winners. The Speed Unlimited ET Series is back in action this Saturday June 22 and on next Saturday June 29, the ET Series will feature the always exciting Team Challenge.



          Back   Top  Home


Click here to visit Speed Unlimited - the Official Speed Shop of MIR!





If you plan to shop online at mirdrag.com, please make sure that you have cookies enabled in your browser settings.


This site also requires the Adobe Acrobat & Macromedia Flash plug-in's (free downloads) to be viewed in its entirety.
If you do not have these plug-in's or would like to upgrade your existing versions, please click below...




Copyright 2013 - Maryland Int'l Raceway

Site design and development by Chris Miller  -  cmiller@mirdrag.com